• ponyplayer
    Any interest in logging definitions that we should know,
    but need to reread?

How about:
    “EP” stands for “Early Pace.” Essentially, it is the speed or velocity rating to the 2nd call (i.e. 4f marker in a 6f race).

“SP” stands for “Sustained Pace.” Essentially, it is EP+SR, double-weighted on the “SR.”

“SR” stands for “Stretch Run” and represents the speed or velocity from the EP call to the finish line (i.e. the last 2f in a 6f race).

“Class” is a more complex formula. It is comprised of Earnings-per-Start (EPS), Average Purse Value (APV) and a consistency rating.
  • ponyplayer
    *When I say "favorite," I do not mean the post time tote favorite. My definition of a favorite is any horse that is projected to go off at below 3/1.

When I say, "Projected," I mean using what I call the "aML." That stands for Artificial Morning Line.
  • ponyplayer
    How would you define a good race? (in the "Deep" tab under
    "The Ask")

“Good race.” According to Quirin:

A “good race” typically refers to a horse’s recent performance.
    If a horse finished 1st or 2nd or 3rd or was within 2 lengths in
    a sprint or within 3 lengths in a route.
  • Dave Schwartz
    A GLOSSARY is a great idea
  • Jim Michalak
    nice step up pony!
  • ponyplayer
    Let's load it up!!!
  • Jim Parker
    Very good idea "ponyplayer" for those of us that have been using H8/9 for many years this is a great refresher, I really like the idea of a Glossary we ALL can benefit from it.
  • ponyplayer
    The RED OBJECT on the "My Handicapping" Screen Showing
    Most Important Call for Pace

i.e. E=1st call, EP=2nd, LP=Not E, SR=Not E or EP.
    ... predicts the running style of the race.

Another way to look at it is:
    Good Race = a finish 1st or 2nd or within 1 length of the winner on a similar surface,
    at the approximate distance and a class level equal or higher than today's race.

Bad Race (not good) = a finish 3rd or worse or greater than 1 length the behind
    on a similar surface, at the approximate distance and a class level equal or lower than
    today's race.

On "The Ask", dots represent races where the horse was asked to do something different
    from what he is being asked to do today. The horse may have done well, maybe even won,
    but it was at different conditions than he is facing today.

Less than 10 dots means the horse has run only that number of dots/times.

With so few "G" and "B"'s, are trainers running horses just to run them and never figuring
    out what the horse is best at?
  • Jim Pommier
    My question is: "dots represent races where the horse was asked to do something different
    from what he is being asked to do today." What is different?
    Could the race distance be 1/16th different versus 1/8th? Blinkers On or blinkers Off?
    Guessing some would be races taken off the Turf and moved to dirt or Tapeta. Many horses at GPX will not scratch out of Turf races moved to the Tapeta.
    Also, as claiming horses win, they lose that condition and move up (NW2L to NW3L). Horses that lose may then be moved down in claiming price. Are these considered different?
    I think that most trainers figure out what's best for the horse, but have to do something different based on the horse's class condition and the availability of similar races in the condition book.
  • Dave Schwartz
    There is a clear explanation at the bottom of that window.

LEGEND
    G = GOOD RACE on similar surface, approx distance, this level or HIGHER.
    B = BAD RACE on similar surface, approx distance, this level or LOWER.
    (off track races are forgiven.)
    . = any other race.

After looking at this, do you still have questions?
  • ponyplayer
    What is the exact definition of a dominant odds horse?

A horse projected to be below 1.22 to 1.
  • ponyplayer
    What are the definitions of the fields in the "Races" window?

5vqy8b9jngyf89cz.jpg
  • ponyplayer
    Factor #12 = Condition

Any chance of getting definition??
  • Tom Atwater
    Newbie here, looking forward to having fun working with you all.

Dave, what plans do you have for deTerminator documentation in general?
  • Dave Schwartz
    Dave, what plans do you have for deTerminator documentation in general?Tom Atwater

That could be a long answer but, in my newly made commitment to brevity, I will say that it begins with a new approach. Still videos, but very short and mostly based upon screenshots.

The onboarding process is really the key - and the team will help with that greatly.
  • Jim Pommier
    Hello Tom. I'm available most weekdays. Can help you get started. I'll send a message to your inbox-- Jim
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment