On Saturday morning, Neal gave us an excellent betting strategy
    as we are going forward with deTerminator. I know Dave will
    provide many more, but this is a start.

Here goes "The Neal":
    1. Make sure you are on the AI BH screen. #2 the F grade horse
    must be a BALO (this one wasn't and he won). Make sure
    yours is!!

2. Rank and magnitude on your horse must be a 1-1 (sometimes
    you can go with 2-2 if the F horse is a BALO and very weak on reports)
    CAUTION! Make sure your horse is strong on reports.

3. Your horse must be an A+ or at minimum an A.

4. You must have tote odds loaded. The horse must be bet
    down from AI odds. Your main bet is to WIN. Morning line odds
    do not matter. Use the F horse in 2nd position if you bet an exacta
    and use other A+ horses that are bet down.

5. Long odds A+ horses clunk up for show a lot (see purple arrows)
    and often even 2nd. Make sure you use all the A+ horses underneath
    if you can - or as many as you can.

If the 2 horse was a BALO, the bet would be on the #1.

Patience is the key. Some days there are many more than others.
    Wait for the situation to present itself and pounce!!

Watch for Chaos 5 races. This strategy is not for them.

Did I miss anything, Neal??
  • Dave Schwartz
    This is an excellent strategy.

Well done, @Neal Freedman & @ponyplayer!
  • Neal Freedman
    Thanks, guys. The strategy as outlined by ponyplayer accurately captures the spirit and essence of the strategy. A couple of quick fine points:

1. Although a BALO is highly preferred, it is not absolutely necessary. Depending on the other factors (tote, rank and margin, and grade) I will consider eliminating a 1 1 horse with a grade of F or D-.

2. I will also (again, depending on the factors cited above) sometimes consider betting an A- horse that is betting.

After a while you will get a feel for these and other fine points.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions.
  • Dave Schwartz
    Thanks, guys. The strategy as outlined by ponyplayer accurately captures the spirit and essence of the strategy. A couple of quick fine points:Neal Freedman

This is fantastic!
    You've captured the very essence of the source of The Situational Advantage.

This is an interesting race for a couple of reasons.
    It shows the value of looking for a BALO and what to do if the high percentage horse(s) is not a BALO. I require a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 4 contenders. In this race I was only able to find 3. I used the collective speed/collective power lists (click the 'Deep' button to see them) and the 4 horse, Streaking Grey, fit the bill as a 4th contender. The high percentage horse wins at 3/5 and the 4 is second at 20-1and the exactor pays $34.
    I'm coming around to the BALO concept. If a top pct horse is a BALO I may still take it on top over my other contenders if it's real odds make it betable. Mostly, though, I make them place horses only.
    In this race, I took the legit nonBALO high pct horse, #2, with 3 others at $2 each and then reverse them over the high pct horse at $1.
    Aug 18, 2024 2:19 PM 	Bet  Gulfstream, Race 4, $1.00 EXA 4,5,8 / 2 		$3.00 	
    Aug 18, 2024 2:19 PM 	Bet  Gulfstream, Race 4, $2.00 EXA 2 / 4,5,8 	$34.10 	$6.00

The lowest paying exactor, 2 over 8, was paying $10 so I went with it. I'll get better at betting eventually. :wink:
  • Red Knave
    Also, the #1, Queen Daymar, is rank 1, magnitude 1, yet is a grade A+ ? That made no sense. I did not have her as a contender. I use the 0Whales report plus 'Ira's object' (posted elsewhere in this forum) and select Reynolds2 horses that have a value of 1 or 2 as contenders.
    I realize that the post was not about this particular horse but I just wanted to be thorough.
  • Tom Atwater

Neal, when are you recording tote odds, given that they change so much after post time these days?

[edit: DS] Adding a ping of @Neal Freedman so he'll more likely see it.
  • ponyplayer
    Tom =

Odds do change dramatically after the gates open.

Good thing is you use the AI Line to see where the odds SHOULD go.
    After you handicap a couple hundred races you will recognize which
    horses will be well bet at the bell and which won't.

You won't see near as much odds variation at the large tracks than
    you see on the smaller tracks. A few weeks f experience and it will become
    clear.

Tough to see now, but you'll pick it up real fast.
  • Neal Freedman
    Agree with everything that ponyplayer said above. Another tactic is concentrating (at lease initially) on horses that are bet way down from their AI line. For these horses then try including additional factors such as rank and margin and grade (I've found that horses in the "A" range tend to do well). As you get better with experience you will come up with other ideas, broadening and improving your approach.

Hope this helps.
  • Dave Schwartz
    Agree with everything that ponyplayer said above. Another tactic is concentrating (at lease initially) on horses that are bet way down from their AI line. For these horses then try including additional factors such as rank and margin and grade (I've found that horses in the "A" range tend to do well). As you get better with experience you will come up with other ideas, broadening and improving your approach.Neal Freedman

I see it the same way as both you & @ponyplayer.

What the AI Line gives us is a standard to measure the gate odds (or whenever) against.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment